Meet the Team - Chinese Teachers
- Connor Baker is from Decatur, Alabama. He graduated from University of Mississippi minoring in Chinese. He teaches elementary class.
- Susanna Cox is a nineteen-year-old homeschool graduate who is currently pursuing a bachelor’s degree in communications through an online university. She first developed an interest in Chinese language at age twelve after a brief introduction to characters, radicals, and strokes. At age fourteen, she spent a year in China with her family, which afforded the opportunity to learn more Mandarin. A big sister to seven, Susanna enjoys working with children and helping them learn. She teaches beginner Chinese this summer.
- Sandra Wang-Harris was born in California and grew up in Taiwan. Sandra and her husband Kevin have lived in Huntsville off and on for the last 17 years. Most recently they (and their 2 adopted Chinese daughters) just moved back from Gambia, West Africa. She is a licensed optometrist and currently home schools her children. She will teach Mommy 'n' Me.
- Gen-Hwa Hsu is from Taiwan. She teaches elementary class.
- Rachel Hutchens is from Hartselle, Alabama. She graduated from National Taiwan Normal University with a degree in Teaching Chinese as a second language. She teaches elementary class.
- Yafei Jiang is from China. She has been living in Alabama for six years. She is from Sandong where Confucianism was originated. She has a good understanding and interest in Analects of Confucius, Chinese poetry, and other cultural topics. She is currently studying Math and Secondary Education at Athens State University.
- Yanxia Li is from Hubei, China. She has 2 elementary age children. She teaches Mommy 'N' Me and elementary class.
- Chanda Shaw is a junior at the Savannah College of Art and Design (SCAD) in Savannah, Georgia. Having started drawing since she could hold a pen, she has since won numerous art awards and continues to push her artistic boundaries. Chanda is no stranger to our camp because she has been a volunteer since 2011. Chanda will be teaching Chinese culture through watercolor. She believes in flexible teaching that allows for a full scope of artistic freedom. She is also a Chinese tutor.
Meet the Team - Chinese student tutors and student teachers
- Cathy Bukenya is a 9th grade student.
- Trish Bukenya is a 6th grade student.
- Scott Corbin, his wife Sarah and their 3 children all take Chinese.
- Abby Trice is a 7th grader at Randolph School.
- Ethan Vallely is a high school student going to Calhoun College. In addition to being a student tutor, Ethan will start teaching a children's intermediate class in the fall.
Taichi teacher - Steffan de Graffenried
Meet the Team - Spanish teachers
- Maria Fromhold is from Venezuela. She worked as an attorney before she immigrated to the U.S.
- Luisa Perdomo is from Venezuela. She also worked as an attorney before she immigrated to the U.S.
- Ethan Vallely teaches introductory Spanish. He is a dual enrolled senior in high school and he has successfully completed first and second year collegiate Spanish. He has been speaking Spanish for five years and is currently studying Chinese at Yuwenbon, where he is also a tutor. His plans include attending UAB and double majoring in molecular biology and linguistics with plans to attend medical school. Ethan’s teaching philosophy is to learn actively, and, in the words of Mrs. Frizzle “Take chances, make mistakes, and get messy!”
Math teacher - Helen Wong
Meet the Team - Japanese teachers
- Tamami Seay
- Akiko Campsey is from Okinawa, Japan. She and her husband have 3 sons. They have lived in Huntsville for 2 years.